Friday, July 23, 2010

"Peace is the ability to wait patiently in spite of panic brought on by uncertainty."
I'm finding that transportation here is a little bit different than in the United States. For example, in order to get to language school, I ride a green bus. It sounds simple enough, but somehow I've managed to get on the wrong "green" bus twice this week. Tuesday, I hopped on a bus that had green stripes on the front, without first reading the list of places it was going. Okay, I figured that one out within a couple of blocks and got off. Then, I boarded the correct bus and headed for home. I was feeling pretty confident until I noticed the blockado up the road where our bus needed to turn. A blockado is basically a Mexican protest in a major intersection of the city. They use cars or buses to block the entire intersection, so that no can get through. The police do not stop them from doing this, so these happen on a regular basis. Anyway, due to the blockado, I had to get off the bus at that point. And, since I knew how to get home from there, I just walked the rest of the way. (Did I mention it was about 2 miles, in the rain, and I was wearing flip flops?)

The second time I missed the bus was today, Friday. At this point, I know where to wait for the bus and how green the bus is supposed to be before I get on it. So, this afternoon, I see "my" green bus coming and climb on when it stops. Why read the signs on the front when it's very obviously the correct color? Well, this bus headed in the right direction and I was feeling that same sense of accomplishment until it passed by the intersection where it was "supposed" to turn. This time, I approached and driver and used my amazing Spanish to ask, "Vamos a Pateon Jardin?" He said no and something else that I didn't understand, so I sat down and continued to ride. I figured that if the bus went by "my" street once, eventually it would circle around and pass it again, so I'd just ride it out. Thankfully, my bus driver was a very kind man and when we approached the correct intersection, he let me get off, so I could take a taxi the rest of the way. (I didn't feel like repeating the 2 miles, in the rain, in sandles again today, so I wimped out and took a taxi.)

Okay, so transportation can be a bit more frustrating down here. But, you know what? I'm choosing to laugh myself through these frustrations! I have laughed my way through my language classes this week. I can't believe some of the stuff that comes out when I'm speaking in Spanish! I have laughed my way through the bus issues. I get home eventually and at least it's only happened after my classes. I may not always feel this way, but right now, I choose to laugh because that's a lot more fun than getting mad. Besides, these types of things make good missionary stories, right?

"Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!" Phil. 4:4


*The opening quote was borrowed from my friend. Thanks Jan!

1 comment:

  1. Laughter is good medicine....and is an excellent way to deal with those kinds of situations. Think of them as little adventures. ...Debbie Johanesen.

    ReplyDelete