Sunday, July 18, 2010

Reflections

Today is a day of reflections.

This morning, I said goodbye to my new friends from New Jersey. We have spent the last 10 days ministering together in 3 different churches, and at a home for children. (More stories about that are in a previous blog.) It has been a wonderful experience and I have most definitely met God in some new and marvelous ways. I don't want to forget what I have learned, so I have been journalling a lot of these things. If you don't mind, I would love to share a few of them with you. Perhaps, it may spark something in you, as it did in me.

We began each day with incredible devotions led by various team leaders. I can honestly say that each one spoke to my heart in a different way. We learned about the love Jesus had for children, what true service looks like, laying down our selfishness and finding God in Oaxaca; just to name a few. God was very clearly with us and beginning each morning this way was so refreshing. It just goes to show that God does want to speak to us and He will, if we are willing to give Him the time to do it.

This week, we had several cross-cultural miscommunications. Why would I write about that? Well, I learned a lot about the Latin American culture and how that affects the way a missionary needs to minister. It forced me to think from another perspective. As you know, I've grown up in the USA. I think and act like an American without even realizing it. For example, this week at VBS I helped with the games. By helping, I mean that I blew up balloons, untangled yarn for a game, and/or played the games with the kids. (When I was actually able to figure out HOW to play the game without an interpreter!) I noticed that almost every game we played all week long involved holding hands. The Latin American culture is very social and family orientated. I saw that evidenced in the games they played! I love discoveries like that! Then, at the end of the VBS, they gave away 2 soccer balls. However, they picked the winner by drawing 15 names out of a bag. The 15th name was the child who won. They do this to show that they are not picking favorites. If they had only drawn 1 name out of the bag, it might have been said that they rigged the drawing and it could hurt someone's feelings, so they pick 15! When was the last time I went out of my way to avoid POSSIBLY hurting someone?

I learned more about the provision of God and the importance of leaning on others for help this week. Right now, I am staying in a very nice home and having the ladies stay with me was a pleasure. All was going well until Wednesday afternoon. We came home tired from VBS and I was really looking forward to squeezing in a shower and quick nap before the evening service at Pastor Filemon's church. I turned the water on for the shower and...nothing. At that moment, I didn't exactly react with the joy of the Lord. I called Mike and Ilona, and they suggested I ask my neighbors (who also happen to be missionaries) because they would know best how to help me. I went next door, introduced myself and began to explain the problem. After a minute, the man said, "I don't speak English." "Oh perfect!" I'm thinking, but had the wisdom not to say out loud. I excused myself and ran to get Debbie, one of the ladies at my house who speaks Spanish. She came out, explained in Spanish and then, the man graciously tried to help. Unfortunately, he didn't know what to do, so he told me to ask my other neighbors, whom I have met before. I did, and thankfully, he was home and knew what to do. Our cistern had run very low because of a toilet left running all day. We had to fill it up with the hose for about 4 hours. But, a short while later, the water was on and I got my shower. Thank you God for helpful neighbors!

Last night, we stayed up late playing card games and talking to a missionary who works up in the mountains with the indigenous people groups. He told us amazing true stories of miracles and healings. The things that he has witnessed and experienced are almost unbelievable, except for the fact, that I know God still works in unexplainable ways! Our God is a God of power! As we sat outside on the third floor balcony, one thing Rod shared touched my heart. I want to share this with you, not to cause anger, but to give the opportunity for the Holy Spirit to speak to you, as He did to me last night. Rod said that he feels sorry for Christians in America because they don't need God. He said they will never experience the miracles and healings of God, unless they are willing to put themselves in a place where it is necessary for God to intervene on their behalf. Even as I write this, I have tears in my eyes because that has been true in my own life. Coming to Mexico was totally a work of the Lord. Before coming, I was very comfortable with my life. I had a great job, a great place to live near my family and I lacked nothing that I truly needed. I am so grateful for the time I had in Montana and I am not sure what the future holds for me here; but I know now that I NEED God and I don't know if I would have learned that at home. Thank you God for loving me enough to show me my need for You!

Well, I've been long-winded in writing today. If you read this far, thank you for your patience! Please continue to pray for me. This week I will be attending language school 5 hours a day. I am looking forward to gaining a better understanding of the language, but it is going to require a lot of effort on my part, as well. I'm not afraid to work hard, but please pray that God gives me physical and emotional strength, as it will be draining.
Thank you for praying and continuing to support me financially. Your prayers mean so much to me and I really do feel God's presence working in my life because of them. May God bless you and continue His work in your life wherever you live.

No comments:

Post a Comment